6 civil works items to consider when subdividing

March 17 2017
Civil works

First time developers may not be aware of the civil works that may be required to develop multiple titles, when subdividing a block. We’ve put together the 6 items you should be aware of.

Civil works is the term used to describe the improvements or additional works to the services of the title so it can be subdivided. These items present an additional cost outlay for the development project.

Here are the 6 most costly items that will need to be addressed for your site:

1. Demolition

Demolition refers to the removal of an existing dwelling on a property so that it is clear for construction. The cost to remove the structure will vary pending what the dwelling was constructed of. For example, asbestos will increase the cost of demolition because it has to be handled and disposed of differently to other building materials. It is essential to get a quote for this service.

2. Raking the site

Once the existing property has been demolished the site may be ‘raked’ to turn over the soil and ensure all rubbish and root matter, from old trees, has been completely removed. Often this service is completed by the company doing the demolition.

3. Head works

This is a contribution fee you pay to the Water Corporation for additional dwellings using the water and sewer service. Water Corporation give a credit for one dwelling per green title, and charge an additional fee for each dwelling you add to the title. Water Corporation can give you an estimate of this cost by calling their land development section.

4. Sewer and water services

Your sewer and water services require upgrading to accommodate the number of titles you are creating. The sewer and water services are treated differently between survey strata and build strata. Once the plumber has completed this work they will issue you and the Water Corporation with an Ascon. The Ascon denotes where the new services are buried to assist the builder in connecting the services to the new connection.

5. The riser

The riser is the connection point for the dwelling sewer run to the Ministers sewer line. Pending the number of titles the riser may have to be replaced with a riser with a larger diameter.

6. Underground power

Underground power is required when you are building on a new title. If the property doesn’t have underground power, Western Power will require you to pay for a new power dome to service the number of dwellings on the title. Where there are three dwellings or above, an electrician who specialises in underground power is required to design your electrical service and a distribution board.

Civil Work’s cost can have a huge financial impact on the viability of your development, and it is imperative you discuss these items with an expert in property development.

Recent Tweets